Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Retail Therapy + F21's Love Nerd Collection

Sorry for not updating lately. I've just been kind of swamped with work. Actually, that's a lie. I have a really bad habit of abandoning my blogs after a few entries and this wasn't immune to it. But I'm back and I'm writing another entry.

I was kind of bummed out today because I didn't pass my behind the wheel test (I am still angry over it) and when I got home, there wasn't anything more therapeutic than turning on my computer and shopping online. I wasn't really feeling up to leaving the house so I booted up my trusty little computer and began to shop.

Pretty much instantly, I calmed down while looking at pages upon pages of clothing. You see, when I do this, I usually only shop at places that I can afford stuff, mostly Forever 21. Yeah, I can hear the arguments about how Forever 21 has really bad quality items and stuff, but in my experience, I go through so many different styles that buying cheap, but trendy clothes is the way to go. After all, I don't have to dress up for work or anything. Just let me have my cute cheap clothes before I have to change it out. :3

Anyways, I stumbled upon F21's Love Nerd collection and fell in love with most of the items. Very rarely do I like the Forever 21 collections because most of the time, I think it's very tacky or not wearable. But I guess I just have a nerdy style. Here are some of my favorites:



First off, I LAHVE LAHVE this sweater. When I first looked at it, the little patch on the left reminded me of Harajuku Lovers and their cute little anime mascots (are they mascots? :x). Also, I really liked the pop of red on the blue. I'm a big fan of buttons and the brighter/bigger/cuter they are, the more prone I am to wearing it. And just when I thought I couldn't love this sweater more, I saw the back detailing. So cute and unexpected! The stripes reminded me of Beetlejuice/Tim Burton. Just a bold print on the back that's neither flattering nor unflattering. Love it! It's definitely not boring, but it's also not too over the top. I also really liked how it was styled. The knee-high socks with the oxfords make this look so chic. I'm so glad that I'm still young enough to pull off this look. (Yes, you CAN be too old to wear something like this. Dress your age and you will be beautiful.)



The thing I love about this bowtie sweater is the fact that it could have been a disaster, but was executed well enough that it doesn't look tacky. Normally, I don't really like to wear red things because they tend to bring out the redness in my face (which is from ezcema) so I try to avoid it whenever possible. But I just can't resist this sweater. I love little bowties and since I can't actually tie a bowtie, why not just get one printed on! :D I also like this because it's only printed at the top. A lot of F21's stuff is really over the top and there's just a lot going on, but even with this bold color, this sweater isn't too in your face. Since it doesn't have any crazy designs, pairing it up with the skort that the model is wearing is perfect. I actually really like that bottom, but I haven't found it on the site yet.



I don't know why, but I'm kind of in love with this button skirt. I think I really do have a button fetish, but the different colors really make this dress pop. Also, the structure of the skirt is pretty interesting. It's kind of like a bubble skirt that doesn't flare out. I'm not quite sure if it'll fit my body type, but I always try on bottoms in the store because I need to make sure it's not too short. Skirts that hang just pass my butt do not make me look classy at all.

Honorable Mention:



I'm not quite sure how I feel about this jacket. As I said, I try to avoid wearing a lot of red and while I made an exception for the red bowtie sweater, I'm not quite sure if I could pull this off. First of all, it's red. Second, the jacket doesn't look very structured on the model and unstructured jackets are kind of a no-no on my body type since it can make me look fat. But, I think I would have to try this on to see if I really like it. When I'm shopping online, it's hard to tell if something would look good on me. I have a general idea of what kind of cuts/prints would work on me, but sometimes I have to try it on to really see if I should buy it. Good thing there's a F21 that's reachable from my location.



When I first saw this jacket, I thought it was really neat. I really dig the kind of military/peacoat combination, but as I zoomed in, I couldn't tell if I like the material. It looks like knit and knit isn't really very warm. It's weird because this jacket looks like it would be very fitting for winter and colder weather, but I don't know if it could hold up to that. The description says there's a houndstooth lining which is very chic, but I'm disappointed that they don't show it in the pictures online. Would have to see it in the store.

Also, they have a cute Lookbook on this style. Check it out. :D

Overall
I really like this collection since a lot of it is wearable, but it reminds me that school is coming back into session. The styles and colors are very private school-esque. I guess summer is finally coming to a close and it's time to buckle down and start gearing up for fall. It looks like a lot of reds coupled with neutrals are coming in with this collection and I wonder if other designers/retailers will follow the trend. But, ngl, I'm excited to start wearing tights and my knee highs again. :)

Also, I love the styling choices! I love the high bun and glasses look. Sexy, yet smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment